Sunday 7 October 2012

Human Bones Save Me From Twilight

Hi there, my super amazing blog followers!! Let's go live...

This week I have been looking for something interesting to read and after checking out this weeks top 10 best sellers and even considering the Twilight Saga, luckily I came to my senses just in time and decided that there was nothing for me in Waterstones. Just as I was about to give up all hope of finding a good read this week, I was recommended 'Human Bones in Archaeology by Ann Stirland'. 
Highly Recommended Read!!

This paperback book although only 60 pages long, is well written and therefore easy to understand. Although it doesn't go into vast amounts of detail it covers a little bit of everything worth mentioning, if you are interested and just starting out in the study of human bones in archaeology. I was easily able to write notes on all the key areas covered and the diagrams dotted throughout the book which are clear and concise helped put things into perspective. (on the down side some of the black and white photos are not as clear as they could be). On the whole I would highly recommend this book.

Over the coming months I will be adding to my library of archaeology books (maybe even the odd Twilight saga book if things get really bad) and will list them to the side of my blog, for your consideration.
A smashing review of Twilight - By BiteMe
"Okay. I could repeat the other reviews-bad writing, 1 dimensional characters, ect. But the other reviews (most of which are better than the actual books) have covered this. The only thing I'm going to say is that Edward and Bella deserve each other, as they're both clearly MENTAL. Avoid if you value your sanity."

As well as hunting for a good read, this week I have also started to research where I would like to go, over the second half of my gap year. I have a few ideas which I have listed below and I would welcome any advice or tips from anyone who has been to any of these places, or might have other suggestion of interesting historical or archaeological places worth visiting. 

1. Machu Picchu - Peru
“Machu Picchu” means “Old Peak” or “Old Mountain.”
 This holds the number 1 spot of places i'd like to visit, as although it is the most visited site in Peru, it still seems to hold that distant and other worldly appeal. Machu Picchu is a true symbol of the Incan Empire and was built around 1450AD. Unlike most other Incan cities, Machu Picchu, was never discovered by the Spanish conquest due to the prime location, making it almost entirely hidden from below. Due to this it is one of the most well-preserved Incan cities and an archaeological must see.

2. Mexico City - Mexico
A scene from the day of the dead festival.
Number 2 on my list is Mexico city it is one of the worlds oldest and most populated city in the world (with 8,705,100 people). It is built on the ruins of the Aztec city of Tenochtitlan and due to an underground pool where water is regularly drawn, the city is in fact sinking at a rate of 6-8 inches a year. The city is full of archaeology and I would love to be there on November 2nd for the Day of the Dead festival.

3. Nemrut - Turkey
A stone head in front of Mount Nemrut
Number 3 on my list is the tomb-sanctuary built by King Antiochus I Theos of Commagene in 62 BC. It is built on the mountain top flanked by huge statues of himself, 2 lions, 2 eagles and various Greek, Armenian and Iranian gods. This often forgotten and some what remote treasure of Turkish History would be a marvellous place to visit.

Please feel free to message me in the comment section, if you have any advice :D

Thank you for reading and until next week, "AdiĆ³s mis amigos"

Maisie

3 comments:

  1. looking at these makes me want to go to them too! I was literally just thinking of writing something like this on my diary blog - you stole my idea! (Only kidding). :D
    Machu Pichu is a bit of an effort to get to. While you like walking I like kayaking. Gotta kayak down something amazing one day!
    M. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this , I found it very intresting and it brighted up my day and made me smile =].

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading a post that can make men and women think.
    Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!
    My site go to blog

    ReplyDelete