Sunday 13 January 2013

Bagginses? What is a Bagginses, precious?


I'm back, I'm on a roll!! Second week in, and i'm keeping to my new years resolution:

ENTER Blogpost Number 2!!!

Its been nearly 6 weeks since I have last been back to the Eastbourne Ancestors Project and I've started to get withdrawal symptoms so, to help me carry on, I decided to do some research into the Anglo Saxon period and it all started with a BBC History Magazine and a trip to the cinema. 

The cinema??? Yes, to see The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey, it was a brilliant film (definitely worth the numb bum I got from sitting glued to the screen for three and a half hours) which followed Bilbo Baggins the newly titled 'Thief' going on an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, with his company of 13 dwarves led by the prestigious warrior Thorin Oakenshield from the fearful dragon Smaug. This may seem as though there is little relation between a 2013 film and the lives of Anglo Saxons, but in fact, John Ronald Reuel Tolkein, the great writer of The Hobbit was Professor of Anglo-Saxon (Old English) at Oxford university in 1925 until his retirement in 1959 and his book The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, does in fact heavily feature western European medieval culture. 'Tolkein's references to Anglo Saxon culture wound folklore and fact into a plausible reality' one that now can be used by people like myself to help try and understand the types of lives the Anglo-Saxon's we are dealing with at the Eastbourne Ancestors may have been like and the types of landscape and communities they may have lived within. 

For those of you readers who are more interested in the film itself or actors involved, I was also very happy to find that Aiden Turner (Mitchel from Being Human, was playing Kili) So please please please, if you have the time check out the film, and definitely give the book a read as well, and remember, you can put all these activities down to researching Anglo Saxon England. (Perfect!!)




     
                 From blood sucking vampire Mitchell to sword wielding prosthetic Dwarf Kili. YAY!!


So until next time, I hope you all have a brilliant week, and carry on with you new years resolution!

I'll be back - Dun Dun Dun..........!!

 Maisie 

I would also like to say sorry to M. (from Fantasy Novel Project Blog and The Confusing and not-so Consistent Diary of an Ignorant Blogger Blog) who confirmed that I wasn't the only ones whose internet went into shock, when I finally posted a new blog last week. Haha, I hope you enjoy this weeks post, and your internet has finally recovered!!!

2 comments:

  1. Apology accepted :) (Though I'm not really sure what you are apologizing for...!)
    I thought Kili was one of the best Dwarves in it. He was funny and so amazingly...dwarflike!
    So if I read the books of Lord Of The Rings, can I say I have been doing some research into European Medieval Archeology? :D
    M. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha i'm saying yes, definitely, although whether a professor at a university would agree i'm not so sure. :p

      Delete